Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Liana's Coat is Finished

I got photos of the coat on me, so I'm adding them at the top of this post.





Link to All Photos in this Post

I got the buttonholes finished today, and now I'm completely done. I'm very pleased with this project. I don't have any photos of me wearing it because I dropped the camera on a cement floor while I was taking these photos, and that was the end of that!

I don't think you can see the shaping very well on the form, but it has a very nice, subtly slimming line, and has a lovely shaping to the side seam area, even though it doesn't have side seams as such. Marfy drafting shows its excellence once again, at least in my opinion.

The lining is silk charmeuse, and I used the same corded-look whipstitch with DMC floss to attach the lining to the body of the coat as I used on the pocket linings. I also attached the monogram circle to the right front lining in the same way.


Here's a close-up of one of the buttonholes. I used the same DMC floss to make them as I used on the lining, etc.

The stitches are fairly large, and even at this scale they tend to disappear into the pile of the cashmere. I love the way the bead on the edge of the lips makes a perfect line, and I think the variegated floss adds just a little spark to it.

Here are the buttons buttoned through the buttonholes.


I want to thank Marji for spurring so many of us to start and finish a coat project. I know I would not have attempted such a complicated project with so many new techniques without her encouragement and knowledge.

11 comments:

Bunny said...

Gorgeous! The details are beautifully worked.

patti said...

Absolutely smashing, Liana!

Ms. Fine Fabrics said...

Wow Liana, your coat is fabulous. I can't wait to see a picture of it on you.

Digs said...

Beautiful, beautiful coat, Liana. That fabric, wow! it's irresistible, it just draws the eye. Congrats on an excellently executed project.

Liana said...

Thank you all so much!

Claire S. said...

Your coat looks amazing Liana, Congratulations !

Gorgeous Things said...

That is so stunning Liana. I love it on you!

Cennetta said...

Beautiful, Liana. You are such an inspiration.

Ann Made Studio said...

What a gorgeous coat Liana!
You look wonderful.

Jenny said...

Beautiful coat! I especially love the fabric, buttons, and patch pockets.

Patricia said...

It looks beautiful Liana. I love how you have made such an unusual fabric into such a wearable creation. The colours are wonderful on you.