Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thanks, Marji

For your wonderful "thoughts on fabric" and "pattern ideas". I bought two patterns today - one is the McCall's 5247 and the other is the Burda 7855. I think I'm leaning towards using the Burda pattern.

I also went to Denver Fabrics this afternoon, and since they have downsized the brick and mortar store, the selection is sorely lacking from even a year ago. They're online shopping selection is much larger than they're brick and mortar store. Doesn't pay me to buy the fabric from them online only to pay tax and shipping. The only wools they had were all dark and one or two bright colors (a fuschia and a green). They do have a wonderful selection of silk charmeuse!

So, I'll be shopping the internet tonight - I have already looked up several and they are all promising.

Ann at http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/shop/index.php has some luscious colors of wool

So does www.fashionfabricsclub.com/

and I think I'm in love with an eggplant colored wool blend at www.manhattanfabrics.com/

Off to do more browsing................

4 comments:

Marji said...

Laura, just so you know, FFC (which is located here in St Louis) bought Denver Fabrics, and by appearances they are the same company now.
I'm pretty sure MichelleL just got her fabric from FFC, and I know she has to pay tax on it because she also lives here in St Louis, but I also think she avoids the shipping by going over there and picking up her orders.

LauraM said...

Thanks, Marji, and for your email, too.

I don't pay tax (but do pay shipping) on FFC shipments as they are in St. Louis. Denver Fabrics, even though owned by FFC, are a totally different entity, and because they and I are both in Colorado I would pay taxes and shipping. You cannot pick up an online order at the brick and mortar store.

Michelle said...

That is true, at FFC I do get away with avioding shipping by going to their location, although it is just a warehouse, no showroom. They just call when it is ready and I run over on my lunch hour.

It is my understanding from FFC, that if you place an online order with Denver Fabrics it will come from the St. Louis location, so you will have to pay shipping regardless.

Weaveron Textile said...

Great fabrics - they'll make a nice bag for your sister! I know what you mean about the gingham - just looking at it for more than a second or two makes it start to jump around, LOL.

to get fabric on demand from weaveron textile.