Friday, May 16, 2008

Question on wool

I am so excited to be part of this sew along. I haven't sewn a coat since my two DD's were very young - about 39 years ago, so this is going to be like starting all over. I did make welt pockets and bound buttonholes on those coats.


What type of wool is your preference for making a coat? There is wool gabardine, wool flannel, wool coating, and several other types, and I'm getting a bit confused. Also, what would you suggest for a lining?


Denver Fabrics is about 5 miles from my house, and I'm planning a visit to feel the different wools. That is the only fabric store, other than Joann's, with anything other than quilting cottons. I am not adverse to buying online (I do it quite frequently).


I would probably only wear this coat on Sundays or other "dress up" occasions. I live in metro Denver and I have several nice jackets that I would wear with casual clothes, so this coat would not get worn daily.


I don't have a pattern yet, but plan to look at McCalls, and Butterick tomorrow as they are on sale at Joann's. I am also going to look at patterns on Ebay. Oh, dear, I have to shop!! :D

2 comments:

Marji said...

Just came on this AM to talk about coating wools Laura. :)

Unknown said...

Hi there Marji. I am trying to start my coat after all this time. I need some encouragement. I am starting all over again t00. In 2022. In more ways than one. I am aiming for Early October.