Monday, May 26, 2008

Alexandra's planning

Marji, thank you for this great idea! I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts so far.

I have two fabrics I am considering for this coat project. One is a really pretty, fuzzy, black coating that is either all wool or a wool/cashmere blend. (I don't remember. It came from a friend of mine when we swapped fabrics after coming to terms with colors we could wear and those we couldn't.)

The other is a lighter weight dark gray wool herringbone. It would likely need Thinsulate or something similar to make it warm enough for these German winters.

For patterns, I'm considering Vogue 2988...


...and Vogue 8307, the short version.


I think I'd want a belt with both of those, even though the second one looks like it has enough waist shaping. I just really like the look of belted coats.

I am going to look for reviews of V2988. For V8307, I don't have to look far - Tany made it up earlier this year and posted extensively about it.

My DMIL, wonderful soul that she is, made a special trip to JoAnn's to pick up these patterns for me. While I'm waiting for them to arrive, I'll gather all the necessary materials and notions, as per Marji's sewing timeline.

6 comments:

Marji said...

There are several versions of this coat out there, in addition to Tany's stellar version.
Among the most notable are EricaB's seen here and one by Ann Steeves here

Jenny said...

Yay! A fellow seamstress in Germany! I had to have my Marfy pattern sent to my mom in the States, and I'll pick it up when I visit in a few weeks. The things our moms and MILs go through...

Alexandra said...

Marji, thank you for the links. I'd forgotten about Erica B's jacket and I wasn't even aware of Ann's. I'll have to do some PR research.

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

If you need a European thinsulate supplier, I'm going to be buying mine from Pennine Outdoor (UK based) for my coat!

Claire said...

Oh I love the Vogue 8307. The red fabric I'm planning to use for this sew-along was originally purchased with this coat in mind. I'm still on the fence deciding if I should use this pattern or another one. Thankfully, I still have a few more days.

Alexandra said...

Melissa, thank you for the link - that looks like a nice website. The prices are reasonable even with the current exchange rate.